Project SpecificationsProject: Sydney Southwest Private Hospital
Status: Completion December 2018
Raston Group were engaged by Taylor Constructions in May 2017 to provide the electrical services for the expansion of Sydney Southwest Private Hospital, in Bigge Street Liverpool, for Healthscope. The project comprised a seven-storey construction including 2 basement levels of car parking extending to the existing ground level car parking with a new superstructure and facade consisting of 5 levels constructed directly above the new car park levels.
Level 1 works included construction of hospital facilities incorporating two new operating theatres, central sterilisation service areas (CSSD), consulting suites and support spaces.
Level 2 provides future hospital wards
Levels 3 and 4 have been completed as a “cold shell” for Healthscope’s future completion.
Level 5 provides the plant room areas for the new hospital extension services.
The project was accepted, on a design and construct (D&C) basis and was executed as a specialised fit-for-purpose facility under the guidelines of the client, Healthscope. The building was constructed upon the original design by the consulting engineer Kuttner Collins. Significant design and coordination of services has been provided to deliver such an intricate construction project. Raston Group has worked closely with the builder, Taylor Constructions, the infrastructure design consultant, CSI, and the electrical engineering consultants, Kuttner Collins, to deliver and complete this project, expanding the existing private hospital facilities.
Services provided by Raston Group for this project include:
- Low voltage 1600 Amp supply from the new 1000KVA substation
- Custom Built Main Switchboard & Metering specific to site requirements.
- 715KVA Stand-By Generator complete with Auto Transfer Switch (ATS) integrated into the main switchboard.
- Power Factor Correction
- Multiple Distribution Boards on each level throughout the new facility including:
- Essential & Non-Essential power to each level.
- Essential & Non-Essential power to CSSD.
- Non-Essential Basement and House Services.
- UPS Power for critical items of equipment.
- Each of the 18 tenancies/consulting suite.
- 60KVA Central UPS System for all critical electrical equipment located in the theatres.
- Energy Monitoring and BMCS Management through private metering.
- Submains to specialist theatre systems including Stryker and Philips equipment.
- Essential power outlets, UPS power outlets and Non-Essential power outlets within the theatres, cardiac protected areas and body protected areas.
- Earthing of theatre equipment and outlets to Cardiac Protection Standards
- Biomedical Certification to all required areas for Cardiac Protection and Body Protection in accordance with AS/NZS 3003 Electrical Installations – Patient Areas
- Dedicated power outlets to all specialised equipment, hydraulic and mechanical equipment.
- Lighting and Automated Lighting Controls
- Emergency & Exit Lighting
- New fibre and copper communications infrastructure to the new building, linking it with the existing facility.
- Data, Telephone, WAP & DECT telephone Systems
On completion of the new hospital addition, Raston undertook refurbishment and expansion works within the existing live hospital areas. This included an extension to the existing surgical recovery rooms, new scrubs and anaesthetic bays, new doctors lounge and new amenities.
The refurbishment works were completed in October 2018.
One of the most important project considerations in the planning and delivery of the project was to minimise the impact and disruption to the existing hospital. To ensure that the hospital and health care services were not interrupted, continuous consultation with the builder and project stakeholders was critical, to ensure works were strategically scheduled and controlled (including all dust and infection control measures) to take place during periods of low operational activity for the hospital.